Passionate on Parallel REU
The Passionate on Parallel Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) encourages students to consider how parallelism could solve big problems, ranging from how galaxies form to whether a person could control a machine using only their thoughts.
Qualified students can spend a summer working with senior faculty in parallel programming, developing their research skills and learning how to apply parallelism to real-world issues. The 2013 POP REU will be held May 28 – August 2, 2013.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
- Have completed at least two courses in computer science, including programming fundamentals and data structures.
- Be undergraduates who have completed their Sophomore or Junior years.
- Hold US citizenship or have permanent resident status and enrolled in a US college or university.
- Must be majors in any science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) discipline.
No prior experience with parallel programming is required. However, candidates must have completed courses in programming fundamentals and data structures prior to the POP REU program.
We especially encourage applications from members of groups under-represented in science and engineering, and from students enrolled at institutions where research opportunities are limited.
Community and Network-Building Activities
- The POP REU will introduce students to parallel programming through an online course and a parallel programming bootcamp.
- Each research team will consist of up to four individuals: one to two REU students, an Illinois faculty sponsor, and an Illinois graduate mentor.
- Participants will attend weekly meetings featuring visiting members of the Illinois faculty and informal seminars on special topics relevant to the research experience
- Joint seminars will be held throughout the summer with REU participants from programs throughout Engineering at Illinois.
- The POP REU summer experience will end with a poster presentation and celebration with all program participants.
• Undergraduate participants receive $500/week plus housing in certified campus housing, and a food allowance.
• This REU is co-funded by the ASSURE program of the Department of Defense in partnership with the National Science Foundation REU Site program under Award No. 1004311.
• The 2013 POP REU will be held May 28 – August 2, 2013.